This week we took the decision to postpone the inaugural Thieves Road Ultra race by two weeks, to the 24th of August 2019. Due to the amber weather warning for thunder & lightning which was in place for the entire route, for the majority of the day, we felt like we had no choice. We have a duty of care for anybody doing our events and as you probably know, when there’s lightning forecast, you want to avoid high ground, exposed areas, wooded areas etc.
There’s been a fair amount of thunder & lightning in Lothians & Borders these last few weeks and every forecast we checked had Saturday 10th down as being torrential rain and 6 hours of thunder & lighting. Under the circumstances, we felt like it was the responsible and only decision we could make.
This is our 9th year of organising ultras in Scotland and is the first time we’ve ever had to postpone a race. We never thought we’d have to do it with an event in August in central Scotland. Unfortunately this “summer’s” weather has been rubbish and extremely changeable, even by Scottish summer standards.
We’ve got everything in place for the 24th of August now. If you are unable to make the race date, please email us for a full refund and also please accept our apologies for having to postpone the race.
We have also re-opened the race for entry at SiEntries – a few people were looking to enter after the original race had closed and we realise that the new date might mean some people can now take part who previously couldn’t.
As always, if you have any questions, please drop us an email.
We’re now even more excited to getting the inaugural race underway in just under two weeks time!